Pastor Stan Mitchell Updates

Weekly sermon updates.

Monday, February 9, 2009

Stillness and Motion Left-Overs

It is a rare Sunday when I leave having said everything I wanted to say in the sermon. One problem I never seem to have is lacking material on a particular subject. So, instead of these ''left-overs'' continually going to waste, I thought I would take advantage of them by using these remnants to give you a quick reflection on Sunday's theme.

Yesterday our subject was ''Stillness and Action.'' Using the metaphor of breathing, the essential appeal of the sermon was that we all need to build into our lives times of ''inhaling'' or quietness/stillness/aloneness in God's presence. Employing this same metaphor, acts of service, compassion, generosity, and hospitality are all forms of exhaling. Healthy respiration, both physically and spiritually, requires a proper balance between the two.

One ''left-over'' from the untouched last page of my notes is a quote from one of my favorite authors, Thomas Merton. In it he speaks insightfully to this matter of spiritual breathing. Merton said,

''There should be at least a room, or some corner where no one will find you and disturb you. You should be able to untether yourself from the world and set yourself free, loosing all the fine strings and strands of tension that bind you, by sight, by sound, by thought, to the presence of other people.
Once you have found such a place, be content with it and do not be disturbed if a good reason takes you out of it. Love it, and return to it as soon as you can, and do not be too quick to change it for another.''

For a good friend of mine that ''room'' is his beloved recliner. His wife says for years she has arisen every morning only to find him there, Bible open, eyes closed(but not asleep:) in quiet reflection before God. For sure, there is no ''one-size-fits-all'' place or time, but we all, like my friend, must find what works for us and commit.

So this week, I hope you will find that place and take the time, perhaps, in the beginning, no more than five or ten minutes, to quiet yourself and be still. I know it won't take long for you to begin sensing the benefits of deeper breathing.

Peace be with you,
Stan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home